Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Praying Mantis



Are all His creatures, bowing down in prayer
for the present moment –  by design?
Did He strike a chord – a balance
Within His creations and their relationship to time?

So much so, that they seem to know how to be themselves?

Why are we, even though created in His image,
So oft devoid of presence of mind – courage - heart
So oft not in this present moment
But instead like Lot’s wife – looking back- looking apart.

Or if not back - then looking forward
yearning for something more - like its owed to us
fantasizing about some imagined future
some utopia in the distance - an idea of "success."

So we struggle: So I struggle, too.
What intricate fantasies, I have created.
Unable to sit still in the moment
Impatient, never deferring or respecting male-headship.

See, I have paid the price – high and costly
For speaking always and speaking loudly.

Instead, I will make the mantis my mentor.

That as an image will remind me
To bow my head – put my hands in prayer
And for sound reasoning – keep my mind clear. 

To have the courage to put Him first – before me
So that – like a beacon - He will guide my attitude
In any direction – so that it’s like second nature
To consult Him – and walk in constant gratitude

Just like all His creations do – from sun up to sun down
Worship the Lord in their different fashions
Just by being perfectly themselves and serving Him
The only way they know how.

Praying Mantis, I will study how you pray.
Just like second nature – as God fashioned you that way
I will carry God's words in my heart
So that when I speak – only His words will come out. 




For S.B.
For unto whomsoever much is given,
of him shall be much required: 
and to whom men have committed much, 
of him they will ask the more.
Luke 12:48

1 comment: